


I made these photos with natural light from the window. In addition to using my trusty foam boards to bounce light from the window onto my subject, I used an 8x8 inch square mirror. I was really pleased with the amount of light that bounced back on the props, getting rid of dark shadows! Try it if you haven't already!
I recently researched the color settings for my Nikon D80 because lately I've noticed that the color quality is really poor and I am spending more time bumping up the color in photoshop. I found an article that suggested changing the color mode to IIIa from Ia. I'm happy with the quality of the colors from the tea shoot, but we'll see how it goes with outdoor scenes. If you're not happy with the color from your camera it may be worth doing some research to figure out why!
Lately I've been thinking a lot about how to get an accurate exposure from my camera and what the camera's limitations are. I've mentioned before that I bought Understanding Exposure...I definitely recommend buying it. It's a really short read and easy to understand. I used my camera's histogram to check my exposure so see if my light meter was giving me the correct exposure reading. This is a much slower process and still photography allows for that!
Final Comments:
| when styling your subject add one element, take several photos at different angles, add one more element, take several photos at different angles, and repeat...sometimes styling a photos is stressful, so it's good to take it one element at a time.
| use a mirror or white foam board to bounce light back onto the subject...this will really transform the picture quality
| use your camera's histogram (if it has one) to check if your image is over-exposed or underexposed...it's never good to rely on a tiny LCD display
wow, love this! lovely angles and light :) tea is the best!
ReplyDelete@aimee - thanks!! I had such a fun time with this! Mirrors were really the key to getting good light in these photos! Love tea!!
ReplyDelete